The Laboratory for Neutron Scattering and Imaging (LNS) at the Paul Scherrer Institut, Villigen, Switzerland operates the neutron scattering and imaging instruments at the Swiss Spallation Neutron Source SINQ. LNS scientific staff conduct a strong in-house research program with special emphases on quantum matter, strongly correlated electron systems, magnetism, superconductivity, materials science, soft condensed matter, energy research and health care.
The Neutron Diffraction Group is responsible for the neutron powder diffractometers HRPT and DMC, the single-crystal diffractometers TriCS and ORION and the material science diffractometer POLDI at SINQ. The group leads ambitious instrumentation projects at SINQ and for the ESS (HEIMDAL):
The LNS has an open position for a:
**Senior Scientist and Group Leader – Neutron Diffraction Group**
* Lead the Neutron Diffraction Group and its science and instrumentation programs
* Ambitious own research together with a team of Postdocs and PhD Students
* User support on the diffractometer TriCS at SINQ (50% of time)
* Application for external funding for science and instrumentation
* PhD in physics, chemistry or related fields
* Leading expertise in diffraction techniques, instrumentation and data analysis
* Excellent track record in science
* Proven leadership, communication and project management skills
Less experienced candidates are also encouraged to apply. Further tenure-track scientist positions may become available soon.
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. The employment will be permanent after evaluation (if applicable). If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information please contact Prof. Dr Christian Rüegg, phone +41 56 310 47 78 or Dr Jürg Schefer, phone +41 56 310 43 47 or have a look at the pdf at:
Please submit your application online (including a complete CV, a short description of your research program, list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Senior Scientist and Group Leader (index no. 3301-00) here:
Paul Scherrer Institute, Human Resources Management, Sevil Minniti, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland